A Coast to Coast Bicycle Ride

Follow my adventures as I pedal from Vancouver to St. John's with the Tour du Canada. The title is a quote from an interview I gave with the Columbiana County [Ohio] Morning Journal in the midst of a cross-USA trip. Their reporter suggested I was "understating the case somewhat".



Sunday, September 5, 2010

Heading Home

We had one helluva windstorm overnight in Argentia, but my tent and I survived and Hurricane Earl provided nice tailwinds to ease the ride up Signal Hill today. Thus endeth my participation in Tour du Canada 2010. Tomorrow I fly back to Ottawa where I will presumably have time to clean up this blog. Sorry for the brevity but I have to go pack....

Now to recap:
Day 71
With foggy and snory conditions,  there's not much to say about our sea voyage, except that I didn't sleep well (it turned out that the lounge next door to our "quiet area"  was not only quieter, but even had more comfortable chairs/banquettes than our recliners). Everyone seems to be in the same frame of mind: we're sad our trip is ending yet at the same time glad it's going to be over.

Landing at Argentia, we snapped the requisite photos at the NL sign, then rode the 3km to set up camp.
As the sun gave way to winds and cloud - the effects of Hurricane Earl - we enjoyed pizza and beer for the Last Supper in Camp. Some folks distributed gifts.
Then it was off to catch up on rest for the last day of riding. Unfortunately, we then experienced as windy a night as I have ever endured, and I spent most of it supporting  my tent from the inside as it repeatedly collapsed - nay, slammed - over me before (thankfully) springing back. In fact the wind flattened or otherwise destroyed 7 tents that night, and by morning the camp office resembled a refugee camp.

Day 72
With the wind still pounding the surf but fortunately at our backs, we set off.

The Rock was still brooding as the morning sun fought to break through,

but conditions gradually improved as we approached St. John's until ultimately we were riding in sunshine.

After a series of ups and downs we eventually wound our way through Mt. Pearl to convene for the final procession up Signal Hill. However, several people elected not to wait for the entire group to assemble before setting off for the ritual dipping of the wheels in the Atlantic.

Then before you knew it, the Final Climb, and the Tour, was over.

Murray's welcoming team extended their hospitality to us all
I lingered on top until the last rider made it in, then descended to the hotel to prepare for the banquet and celebrations. Reviews of my Karaoke performance were mixed.

1 comment:

  1. Mark, thanks for writing this blog during your trip; I've really enjoyed hearing about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete